- 230 grams(1 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 280 grams (2 cups) plain flour
- 60 grams (1/2 cup) icing or powdered sugar
- 4 level tablespoons custard powder
- 115 grams (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 375 grams (3 cups) icing or powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-4 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 180 C. Line two baking trays with baking or parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer for 1 minute or until creamy. Add flour, sugar and custard powder and beat until a soft cookie dough forms.
- Roll roughly two teaspoons of cookie dough in your hands to form a ball and place on prepared tray. Repeat with remaining cookie dough. Press down on each cookie using a fork.
- Bake cookies for approximately 12 minutes. Leave to cool slightly before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the frosting, place butter in a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until pale and creamy.
- Add vanilla, half the sugar and one tablespoon of milk and beat until combined. Add the remaining sugar and another tablespoon of milk and beat until smooth.
- If the frosting is too thick, add an extra tablespoon or two of milk. Add buttercream to a piping bag fitted with a large round tip. Pipe buttercream onto one cookie. Add another cookie on top. Repeat with remaining cookies.